Saint Patrick's Church
Home Saint Patrick's Church History Meet The Staff Gallery Contact Us

Mayer & Co. Stained Glass Windows


The History of the windows of Saint Patrick's
compiled by Blair Beed; with scripture text notes by Mary Schaefer.



Mayer & Co: the windows; the Gothic Revival led to bringing back the traditions of making stained glass windows. This can be traced to the foundation of the Munich Institute of Glass Painting in 1827, by Bavaria’s King Ludwig 1. In 1862 Joseph Gabriel Mayer added stained glass production to his Institute for Christian Art Works, which he had founded in 1847 to “reactivate the idea of the Middle Ages cathedral building trades” through fine arts, sculpture, architecture, and painting. The great success of the firm led to the opening of an office in New York by 1888. Mayer & Co. studios were part of what was known as the “Munich Style”. This style involved painting religious scenes on larger sheets of glass, and then fused to the glass through firing in intense heat. This allowed the blending of colours not possible by the medieval style, in which any change in colour in the scene required a separate piece of glass. In the Munich style the leaded seams do not intrude upon the scene portrayed and are hardly noticeable. The new style also allowed for extremely detailed depictions of their subjects. Mayer & Co. is still in operation in Munich and New York and is run by the 5th generation of the family.

-1917 Halifax Explosion destroyed stained glass windows. The church was closed for repairs and masses were held at the Casino Theatre on Gottingen Street.

- January 4, 1918 announcement in local newspapers that ‘the basement of Saint Patrick’s Church is being put in shape and will be ready for Sunday masses.’

- January 13, 1921 the stained glass windows were reordered.

-May 2005, we thank Mayer & Co. of Munich and New York for providing some of the following information on our windows.



Dear Blair Beed,

Many thanks for your email of May 1st.

Unfortunately, most of our old files (in Munich) were destroyed in 1944 by bombs and fire. We could save only a few books with photos of our windows and lists showing the churches with our stained glass windows, which however are not complete, and a few "order books". The entries in the order books start in 1888, when our New York agency was opened. Orders before 1888 are not listed. All other old files were destroyed in 1944.

In the order books we found regarding your church the following entries:…We were wondering that a number of windows were ordered a second time in 1921. The explosion in 1917, which you mention, where windows were destroyed explains the reason.   With kind regards,

Franz Mayer of Munich, Inc.
Wilfried Jaekel


 

The windows of Saint Patrick’s

At the front Brunswick Street side of the church in the choir loft (not open to the public) the 6 windows of rich ornament, first ordered Nov. 13, 1902, reordered January 13, 1921. Many of the windows in the church had been ordered by Reverend G. Murphy. They were reordered by him at the time he had been elevated to Rt. Rev. Monsignor G. Murphy. (The windows in 1898 and 1899 were ordered by Rev. E. McCarthy who would order the replacement stained glass windows for Saint Mary’s Cathedral in 1926 as Archbishop E. McCarthy.)

North side starting from the east by the Blessed Sacrament altar:

1. Presentation of Mary in the Temple by her parents. (Protoevangelium of James) First ordered November 2, 1899, replacement ordered January 13, 1921. The window was given by the Teachers and Pupils of Saint Patrick’s Sunday school.

2. Annunciation, Mary with angel Gabriel (Luke 1:26-38). The window is in memory of John and Sarah O Mullin. AD 1900. First ordered Feb. 3, 1900, replacement ordered January 13, 1921. Mayer and Co. Munich and New York is in lower right corner.

3. Visitation: Mary visits Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56). Window is in memory of Nicholas Buckley by a loving wife and son. First ordered Feb. 3, 1900, reordered January 13, 1921.

4. Birth of Jesus and Visitation by the Shepherds (Luke 2:1-20). Window is in Memory William and Ellen Stoker. First ordered Oct. 23, 1900, reordered January 13, 1921.

5. Visit of the Magi (Matthew 2:1-2). Window is in memory of Mary Horigan. First ordered April, 22, 1901, replacement window ordered January 13, 1921.

6. Presentation of Jesus at the Temple (Luke 2:22-38). Window presented by the Children of Mary of Saint Patrick’s. First ordered April 22, 1901, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

7. Flight into Egypt of Mary, Jesus and Joseph (Matthew 2:13-18). Window is dedicated to Edward and Catherine Barry. First ordered April 22, 1901, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

8. Jesus among the doctors of the law at the Temple (Luke 2:41-52). Window is in Memory of Mary Moriaty. First ordered April 22, 1901, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

9. A window of rich ornament with Mayer & Co. Munich and New York in lower right corner.

South side of the church starting from the west by the choir stair:

10. A window rich in ornament.

11. Baptism of Jesus with John the Baptist (Matthew 3:13-17: Mark 1:9-11: Luke 3:21-22). Window is in memory of Jubilee 1901. Replacement window ordered January 13, 1921. This is the window where for many years it has been repeated that at the time of the Halifax Explosion John the Baptist was damaged with the loss of his head.

12. Marriage Feast at Cana: Jesus changes the water into wine at the request of his Mother (John 2:1-12). Window is in memory of Patrick O’Mullin. No original date, reordered January 13, 1921.

13. Jesus healing the Sick (many sources). Window donated by William Grant. Ordered April 22, 1901, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

14. Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-12). Window is in Memory of William E. Barry. Ordered April 22, 1901, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

15. Jesus receives the little children (Matthew 18:1-4: Mark (:33-36: Luke 9:46-47). Window donated Thomas & Margaret Courtney. First ordered April 14, 1900, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

16. Jesus gives Peter the Keys (Matthew 16:13-20). Donated by the Charitable Irish Society. Compare the angels in the top glass rosettes of every other window with the subject here: this window is topped by an image of Saint Patrick. First ordered April 14, 1900, reordered January 13, 1921.

17. Agony in the Garden (Matthew 26:36-46: Luke 22:39-46), in the background is Judas coming through a gate. The window presented by the Altar Society AD 1900. First ordered Feb. 3, 1900, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

18.The Faithful Women at the Empty Tomb: Mary of Magdala, Joanna and Mary the mother of James with two angels (Luke 24:1-112). Window Donated by the Teachers & Pupils of Saint Patrick’s Sunday School. Mayer& Co. Munich & New York in lower right corner. First ordered Nov 2, 1899, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

East end of the church over the altars from left to right:

Over the Blessed Sacrament Altar: Coronation of Mary. Gift of Thomas O’Malley, first ordered September 24, 1898, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

Over the High Altar: Jesus ascends into heaven (Acts 1:6-11), the words along the bottom of the window read; ‘O men of Galilee why stand you looking up to heaven. Acts I II’. First ordered November 13, 1902 with 5 blue panels for sky ordered November 16, 1903, 1 ceiling light replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

Over the Blessed Virgin Altar: The Holy Family (‘hidden life’ of Jesus, Luke 2:39-40). Joseph, Jesus fashioning a cross with wood, Mary. Gift of Thomas O’Malley, first ordered September 24, 1898, replacement ordered January 13, 1921.

At Saint Patrick’s we hope with community support to be able to work to restore our windows over the coming years.


Saint Patrick's Church COPYRIGHT 2006 to Present.